Wednesday, February 11, 2009

To Cross This River, You Must Pay A Tax

It is interesting that with all the shortcomings in the economy today, cities are getting creative on how to make ends meet. For example...................I noticed the most interesting/creative tax this week. While in New Orleans, first of all you cannot get a hotel without paying 30% in taxes. My room rate was $89 and the tax tacked on was $24, which is not abnormal. The most interesting thing was this....................I valet parked my rental car, which turned out being $26 per night (yikes). On top of the valet rate, there was a city valet tax of $3 and a parrish valet tax of $2. Try asking a valet guy who is paid on tips to explain this to you.........it is pretty funny listening to the spin.

Now......for those of you who know me well, you know that I hate debt and actually have a phobia of it. Even if you offer me zero percent interest, I would rather pay cash than owe someone. Thus the reason I LOVE American Express. They make you pay in full at the end of every month so you can never push off a purchase on credit. This way, you should never have any credit card debt. I bring this up to say that this week I got my annual report from AmEx which is always cool to look at. Check out how my 2009 went:

I took 42 round trip Southwest flights.
I rented a car 26 times.
I stayed in 53 different hotels with multiple nights.
I went out to dinner 177 times in which I paid.
I purchased gas 146 times.
I paid $408 in tolls.......(tax)

I cannot wait to get the 2009 recap on Jaime's AmEx................just to see how many times we contributed to Starbucks bottom line. LOL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Dave, if you come to Weatherford, you can stay for free but I will let you pay for my dinner or you can bring something and we can grill out at my house. But you have to play with the kids and pet my dog.

Lilye said...

Hey Isac will give you guys a call tomorrow to say thanks for the gift card for his b-day. We have had a very busy week so sadly his parents are too blame for not calling yet. Sorry.... Thank you for thinking about him.