Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Update


Well, so much for Reece being happier when we got home. Poor guy picked up some kind of stomach bug at the hospital before we left and is still not over it. Now Olivia has it so we're all laying low for a couple of days it looks like.

The infusions at home went really smoothly Sun - Tuesday which was a relief. Per the doctor's instructions, we removed the needle at home last night which was pretty easy. No tears and it didn't even bleed. However, today was my first attempt to access the port at the doc's office, and it wasn't so great. Reece's chest is raw from the tape that's been on it to cover the needle all this time, so when we had to scrub it with alcohol before the infusion today he went into orbit. Then, I missed on my first attempt so then I burst into tears and the nurses were consoling me instead of him. Poor David was just holding Reece and trying to not make me more upset. Then the nurses had to scrub the skin AGAIN and then they accessed the port for me and I did the rest. Reece cryed SO hard the rest of the time and all the way home. He has been fussy the entire afternoon too. Not sure if it's the bug, new teeth, or the new dressing the nurses put on the port site. He has to wear this needle until Sat. and David and I will infuse only once a day until then. On Sat. the needle comes out and we give him a break until Oct. 21 and we go back again for my next attempt. We will continue to go back twice a week until I have it down completely. Ugg, I'm hoping they ALL go better than today.

1 comment:

M.Kay said...

Jamie, I feel your pain! Seriously I cried the first few times I missed on my first try too... along with the splitting headache I got followed by vomiting becasue I was so stressed. But YOU WILL GET IT! And after you do it once, it gets easier. I still occasionally miss on the first try but usually get it the second time around. Make sure they give you the numbing cream to put on a hour before you access the port, he wont feel a thing no matter how many times you have stick him, it makes a HUGE difference!!! ...and we had to switch the tape we were using because it irritated Sean's skin too... maybe they can try a different type of tape. Email me if you have any questions or if you want to talk I'll send you my number. Trust me it gets easier and you are going to feel so empowered knowing that you can give your baby boy what he needs in order to be a normal little rough houser. You will have a calm after the storm! Hang in there!!!!